Please read the Institute of Museum and Library Services’ COVID-19 Workplace Health and Safety Plan and the Office Access Process (PDF, 220KB).
Please call the IMLS Staff member you are scheduled to meet upon arriving at the 1st floor security lobby. They will escort you to the 4th floor IMLS office.
The L’Enfant Plaza Metro Station serves the Orange/Silver/Blue/Yellow/Green lines and has indoor access to the IMLS office. Visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority website for station train levels, handicap-accessible entrances, and interactive maps.
Upon exiting the L’Enfant Plaza Metro Station, proceed to the L’Enfant Plaza Mall Concourse, 9th & D Streets Exit up the escalator to enter the L’Enfant Plaza shopping and dining area.
Follow the signs for the 955 building, continue past the USPS and DMV, and take the stairs (left) or elevators (right) to the 1st floor security lobby.
From May 2022 through November 2022, Metro is replacing the escalators at the L’Enfant Plaza Metro station. Visit the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority website for details.
The D Street entrance isn't handicap accessible. If you cannot take stairs, please take a taxi and ask the driver to take you to the L’Enfant Promenade plaza entrance (955 L’Enfant Plaza SW), which is on the opposite side of the building from the D Street entrance. Enter the lobby through the glass doors.
The most direct way to the IMLS office from the National Mall is to take either 7th Street SW or 10th Street SW.
From 7th Street
- At the intersection of 7th and D Street SW, head west on D St SW
- Turn left and take the stairs
- Turn right toward L'Enfant Plaza SW
- Turn right onto L'Enfant Plaza SW and enter the 955 building through the glass lobby doors on the right
From 10th Street
- From Independence Ave., head south on 10th Street (L'Enfant Plaza SW)
- Turn left to stay on L'Enfant Plaza SW
- Turn left and enter the 955 building through the glass lobby doors on the left
- Instruct the driver to the following address: 955 L’Enfant Plaza SW, Washington, D.C. 20024.
- Request to be dropped off at the L’Enfant Plaza 1st floor level outside of the 955 building.
- Enter the main lobby at 955 through the glass doors.