FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Contact: Giuliana Bullard, 202-653-4799
IMLS Names Finalists for National Medal for Museum and Library Service
#ShareYourStory will feature public testimonies of museum and library excellence
WASHINGTON, D.C. – The Institute of Museum and Library Services today announced 29 finalists for the 2018 National Medal for Museum and Library Service. The National Medal is the nation’s highest honor given to museums and libraries for community service. Over the past 24 years, the award has celebrated 182 institutions that demonstrated extraordinary and innovative approaches to public service.
“The 29 National Medal finalists showcase the tremendous ability of libraries and museums to serve as vital community resources,” said IMLS Director Dr. Kathryn K. Matthew. “The Institute of Museum and Library Services is honored to recognize these leading institutions. We congratulate them on the work they are doing across the United States.”
In March and April, IMLS will celebrate the excellent community work of these institutions through its #ShareYourStory social media campaign. Anyone with a story to tell about these libraries and museums is encouraged to share comments and pictures and tag IMLS on Facebook and Twitter.
The 2018 finalists of the National Medal for Museum and Library Service are:
- Carson City Library (Carson City, NV)
- Cuyahoga County Public Library (Parma, OH)
- Georgetown Public Library (Georgetown, TX)
- Ketchikan Public Library (Ketchikan, AK)
- LA County Library (Los Angeles County, CA)
- Mancos Public Library (Mancos, CO)
- North Carolina Digital Heritage Center (Chapel Hill, NC)
- Orange County Library System (Orlando, FL)
- Pueblo City-County Library District (Pueblo, CO)
- Reading Public Library (Reading, PA)
- Rochester Public Library (Rochester, MN)
- Sacramento Public Library (Sacramento, CA)
- Terrebonne Parish Library (Houma, LA)
- Wiggin Memorial Library (Stratham, NH)
- 9/11 Memorial Museum at the World Trade Center (New York, NY)
- Chicago Zoological Society/Brookfield Zoo (Brookfield, IL)
- Children’s Museum of Denver at Marsico Campus (Denver, CO)
- Detroit Historical Society (Detroit, MI)
- El Paso Museum of Art (El Paso, TX)
- High Desert Museum (Bend, OR)
- History Museum at the Castle (Appleton, WI)
- Missouri Historical Society (St. Louis, MO)
- National Railroad Museum (Green Bay, WI)
- Newark Museum (Newark, NJ)
- Orlando Science Center (Orlando, FL)
- Pretend City Children’s Museum (Irvine, CA)
- Science Museum of Virginia (Richmond, VA)
- South Carolina Aquarium (Charleston, SC)
- University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History (Eugene, OR)
National Medal winners will be announced later this spring. Representatives from winning institutions will receive their medals at a ceremony on May 24 in Washington, D.C.
To learn more about the National Medals, visit the IMLS website.
About the Institute of Museum and Library Services
The Institute of Museum and Library Services is the primary source of federal support for the nation's approximately 120,000 libraries and 35,000 museums and related organizations. Our mission is to inspire libraries and museums to advance innovation, lifelong learning, and cultural and civic engagement. Our grant making, policy development, and research help libraries and museums deliver valuable services that make it possible for communities and individuals to thrive. To learn more, visit www.imls.gov and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.